snowdog (855)

Homemommy (824)

WxFreak (812)

New Catastrophic Tornado Warnings being tested

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Catastrophic Tornado Warnings being tested

Post by Vanster67 on 2012-04-03, 7:52 am

Impact based weather warnings detail "catastrophic" storms
Tactics aimed to "scare" people to seek shelter..
yikes rock on
Unsurvivable. Catastrophic. Mass devastation. These words are part of a new alert system to warn people when a severe storm approaches.

Monday, five offices in Kansas and Missouri will test the messages and people's responses to them. The new messages would describe in detail the damage storms cause. It's a tactic aimed to scare people into seeking shelter.

"We have one that we keep in our store. Anytime there is any indication of bad weather, we're turning it on; we're listening to it to keep us informed as well as our customers," explained Pete Kuntz, assistant store manager at Lowe's.

Even though tornadoes have touched down in the Ozarks this year, at places like Lowe's, weather radio sales are stagnant.

"It's that complacency we always try to fight against it and hope people will just heed the warning that's out there," explained Ryan Nicholls, the Greene County Emergency Manager.

According to studies done with the National Weather Service, people don't necessarily listen to the warnings. After the deadly tornadoes in Joplin and Tuscaloosa, researchers found most people didn't heed the initial warnings about the oncoming storms. Further, they concluded people in tornado-prone areas have become desensitized by frequent false alarms.

Kevin Cox, the owner of manufactured home complexes in Springfield and Joplin, understands how the alerts can get lost in translation.

"It's kind of the boy cries wolf situation. You keep hearing these alerts; you practice them in school with your children. You grow up and you say 'Okay, it's just another alert,'" said Cox.

"We don't want to cry wolf," explained Nicholls. "But at the same time, we don't want to miss a risk that causes damage or risk lives that we should have been prepared for."

The impact based warnings are intended to provide quick, easy to understand, even shocking messages about incoming storms. Among the messages in the new warnings: "COMPLETE DESTRUCTION OF ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOODS IS LIKELY" and "MASS DEVASTATION IS HIGHLY LIKELY MAKING THE AREA UNRECOGNIZABLE TO SURVIVORS."

Targeted messaging is something Cox agrees with.

"I think people just need just a finger poke right between the eye balls saying 'listen, pay attention to this.' And I think that kind of shock and awe factor is exactly what is needed," he said. "If you are getting a broadcast like that, it's like 'hey fool, you are going to lose your life!' I think that's needed."

Residents in Cox's complexes receive phone messages whenever severe weather is approaching. With the technology of the newer systems, it may help people to seek shelter faster.

"We just want to make sure everyone is safe and they know what's coming their way," Cox said.

"It really gives us lead time. We're always trying to buy more lead time. Because if folks have a 2 minutes time to respond or they have 20 minutes, I mean that can make a big difference," said Nicholls. "They are doing this with really good technology, it's advanced technology. And it's really pinpointing what our threat is and what we need to be concerned about."

While the Emergency Manager applauds the new messages, he said it's not the warning system that's flawed, but the response. Alerts work, as long as people listen to the warnings, no matter how targeted.

"I think it will help people with good information and if they respond to it, it can save lives," Nicholls said. "When you hear a warning or when you hear a siren, it should be an automotive response. We want family, children, everyone in your household, to react when a siren goes off. It should be that clean and simple. There should be a plan."

I think this is an excellent idea. Then that is also my opinion but with the Dual polarization radar out, the NWS can tell if a tornado is on the ground and carrying debris. rock on

Last edited by Vanster67 on 2012-04-04, 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Vanster67
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Catastrophic Tornado Warnings being tested

Post by Homemommy on 2012-04-03, 8:00 am

"hey fool, you are going to lose your life" ROLF! I wish they would say that. It is a shame you have to go to extreme measures just to get people to pay attention.

Nice avatar, Vann!

Founding Member

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1283313403

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanster67 on 2012-04-03, 8:09 am

Homemommy wrote:"hey fool, you are going to lose your life" ROLF! I wish they would say that. It is a shame you have to go to extreme measures just to get people to pay attention.

Nice avatar, Vann!

Thanks Homemommy, I could not resist. Hasta la vista, Baby!!

smartass
Vanster67
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stovepipe on 2012-04-03, 8:41 am

LOL Vann, the avatar rocks!
Stovepipe
Founding Member

View user profile http://thecountryisgoingtohell.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanster67 on 2012-04-03, 8:55 am

"COMPLETE DESTRUCTION OF ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOODS IS LIKELY" and "MASS DEVASTATION IS HIGHLY LIKELY MAKING THE AREA UNRECOGNIZABLE TO SURVIVORS." I would really not like to get a message like this about a tornado that is on the ground and headed my way. Shocked
Vanster67
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Homemommy on 2012-04-03, 8:58 am

Vanster67 wrote:"COMPLETE DESTRUCTION OF ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOODS IS LIKELY" and "MASS DEVASTATION IS HIGHLY LIKELY MAKING THE AREA UNRECOGNIZABLE TO SURVIVORS." I would really not like to get a message like this about a tornado that is on the ground and headed my way. Shocked

They need to get Frankie to do them. He's perfect for the job.

Founding Member

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1283313403

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanster67 on 2012-04-03, 9:03 am

Homemommy wrote:
Vanster67 wrote:"COMPLETE DESTRUCTION OF ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOODS IS LIKELY" and "MASS DEVASTATION IS HIGHLY LIKELY MAKING THE AREA UNRECOGNIZABLE TO SURVIVORS." I would really not like to get a message like this about a tornado that is on the ground and headed my way. Shocked

They need to get Frankie to do them. He's perfect for the job.

Homemommy, they want people to be scared and alert, not hitting the replay button constantly, as the try to choke down the laughter. Very Happy
Vanster67
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum