Tennessee Weather Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WRF cast
Satellite Loop
Current Watches
Current Snow Cover
Conus Radar
Regional Radar
Tennessee Radar
SE RADAR
Enlarge
24 hr Temp change
Current MDs
Regional Temps
Conus Temps
Current CPC NAO and forecast
Top posters
Toot (6644)
Big Dog Call maps/Forecasts Vote_lcapBig Dog Call maps/Forecasts Voting_barBig Dog Call maps/Forecasts Vote_rcap 
Stovepipe (4148)
Big Dog Call maps/Forecasts Vote_lcapBig Dog Call maps/Forecasts Voting_barBig Dog Call maps/Forecasts Vote_rcap 
Adam2014 (1424)
tennessee storm09 (1304)
Jed33 (930)
windstorm (891)
John1122 (885)
snowdog (855)
Homemommy (824)
WxFreak (812)

Big Dog Call maps/Forecasts

4 posters

Go down

Big Dog Call maps/Forecasts Empty Big Dog Call maps/Forecasts

Post by Toot 2013-01-16, 8:01 pm

Alright here is my forecast

After a warm December old man winter is just getting started here in the eastern US. One the first products of this colder pattern is what I have called and continue to call a "Southern Slider" winter storm system. this winter storm will likely lay a swath of wet snow down from central/southern Mississippi all the way up towards the southern tip of New Jersey!

A strong upper level low/shortwave will swing into the southeastern states tonight where it will begin changing the rain associated with a stalled out surface boundary to snow. Snow could become heavy at times underneath the cold core of the upper low after midnight tonight in central and southern Mississippi and into the day tomorrow in central and northern Alabama.

At the surface a low begins to strengthen across eastern Georgia and as the upper low begins to dampen out and lose its forcing some of the lower valley locales in northern GA and southeastern TN could have trouble changing the rain over to snow.. but I expect it will eventually change.

As the surface low begins to move east-northeast the associated precip field will spread northward into more of a polar airmass moving in from the west. With the help of some upper level dynamics the rain will also change to snow there. This is where I expect the snow will become extremely heavy with very impressive snowfall rates.. especially in the southern Appalachian mountains where I expect trees will ultimately snap due to the high water content of the precip. Due to how dynamic this system is I will not be surprised to hear multiple reports of thundersnow too. Taking the latest guidance into consideration here is my updated/final forecast graphic.

Big Dog Call maps/Forecasts 149505_355925111181914_1357235704_n

Last edited by Toot on 2013-02-08, 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Toot
Toot
La Vida Loca

https://www.facebook.com/Wxeast

Back to top Go down

Big Dog Call maps/Forecasts Empty Re: Big Dog Call maps/Forecasts

Post by tom23 2013-01-16, 8:34 pm

Just so everyone knows, I am going to post what Toot said on his fb page regarding what the different levels of accumulations on his call map mean. Toot, feel free to delete this post if you don't feel like its my place to do so, but I just wanted to clear up some possible questions members that don't follow your fb page may have.

Light= Trace-3 inches
Moderate= 3-6 inches
Heavy= 6+

tom23
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jed33 2013-01-16, 9:31 pm

That's a good call Toot! I love it! Here's hoping for snow tomorrow afternoon! wash Assuming Knoxville does get more than 4in, when was the last time that happened? I didn't live here in 2009-2011, but seems like the heaviest during that time was 4in? I could be wrong though.

Jed33
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by etnwx 2013-01-16, 9:41 pm

I remember 2 good 4" snows in 2006 January to February timeframe. In fact one was on 2/18, the day I got married.

We had another good snow since then, but I can't remember the year off hand.
etnwx
etnwx
Storm Spotter

http://www.etnwx.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Toot 2013-01-16, 11:44 pm

DT (Wxrisk.com) has 3-6 in Knox county...6-9 in Morristown/Greeneville area 9-12 in the Bristol/Johnson City area. Which is possible but half of those totals is a very comfortable bet right nowBig Dog Call maps/Forecasts 580498_471457219568208_651668972_n
Toot
Toot
La Vida Loca

https://www.facebook.com/Wxeast

Back to top Go down

Post by Toot 2013-01-17, 8:31 am

TWC
Big Dog Call maps/Forecasts BAzpJFZCYAA19tf

MRX
Big Dog Call maps/Forecasts Image1
Toot