Tennessee Weather Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WRF cast
Satellite Loop
Current Watches
Current Snow Cover
Conus Radar
Regional Radar
Tennessee Radar
SE RADAR
Enlarge
24 hr Temp change
Current MDs
Regional Temps
Conus Temps
Current CPC NAO and forecast
Top posters
Toot (6644)
-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter Vote_lcap-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter Voting_bar-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter Vote_rcap 
Stovepipe (4148)
-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter Vote_lcap-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter Voting_bar-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter Vote_rcap 
Adam2014 (1424)
tennessee storm09 (1304)
Jed33 (930)
windstorm (891)
John1122 (885)
snowdog (855)
Homemommy (824)
WxFreak (812)

-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter

Go down

-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter Empty -AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter

Post by Toot 2012-12-08, 1:39 pm

Seeing most guidance ramp up the negative PNA got me to digging into some data for some analogs as the negative PNA was not expected by me this winter and I still have my doubts that it lasts into January but never the less.. here are some analogs that featured a -PNA and -AO December. Going back to 1950 I could only find four cases

The following analogs were chosen due to both the PNA and AO having a December value of at least -1.00. The winters are 1961/62 1996/97 and 2010/11.

All three of these cases broke down the -AO by Febuary

1961/62 500Mb winter pattern anomaly
-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter 29z3eyd
The PNA won out that year as January and Febuary went on to feature a negative PNA

1996/97 500Mb winter pattern anomaly
-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter 2010js6
The AO won out that year as January and Febuary featured a positive PNA

2010/11 500mb winter pattern anomaly
-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter Vfb6f7
No one indice really stands out as winner that year as January feature a highly positive PNA and Febuary featured a negative PNA

The following analog featured a negative PNA of at least -0.50 and a negative AO value of at least -1.00 during the month of December

1978/79
-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter 2aexis0
The PNA went on to win out that year as Jan and febuary went on to feature a negative PNA

All four analogs averaged out temperature anomalies for the winter
-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter 214pidy

..........................................................................................................

After looking at those one has to ask..do those really match the pattern the last few months? Not really..only one featured a October..November and December AO value like this fall has. That would be 2010/11 which also featured a VERY Deeply negative AO during the month of December.
As we speak the current -AO sets around -3.00

After looking at the above data...I can only draw one conclusion..the negative AO should continue to overwhelm the pattern into late January and in theory that will help offset possible harsh conditions in the Pacific. That said..its just my opinion when looking at the data and I could very well be wrong.

I might add that 1978/79 and 2010/11 featured a negative NAO during the months of December and January which had MAJOR implications of us being cold or not. As always..the NAO is boss around here!

Toot
Toot
La Vida Loca

https://www.facebook.com/Wxeast

Back to top Go down

-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter Empty Re: -AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter

Post by Toot 2012-12-08, 2:11 pm

This is what happens when you factor in the negative NAO as these two years featured the -NAO/-AO/-PNA

Another cold anomaly that pretty much proves a -NAO will usually trump the Pacific
-AO/-PNA Analogs to this winter 34fi1oi
Toot
Toot
La Vida Loca

https://www.facebook.com/Wxeast

Back to top Go down